You've finished your orthodontic treatment! Congratulations!! The next phase in your treatment is an incredibly important part of your orthodontic treatment.
Once your braces have been removed, retainers are given to each patient and must be worn as prescribed by Dr. Maruko. During the retention phase, wearing your retainer as prescribed will ensure that your teeth remain stable and in the position they were left in when your braces were removed. Failure to wear your retainer as instructed will lead to your teeth shifting and needing orthodontic treatment again.
- place the retainer very gently with your fingers, never bite your retainer into place.
- when your retainers are not in your mouth, leave it in your case. Retainers wrapped in napkins will get thrown away and pets love to chew on them!
- retainers should be removed when playing contact sports
- use antibacterial dish soap to scrub your retainers at least once a day. Never rinse with hot water, it will warp your retainer. An appliance cleaner (such as Retainer Brite which can be bought at our office) can also be used to clean them.
- if you lose you retainer, contact our office immediately.
- retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care, will last for years!